Horsing Around Kid’s Expo
At the Wyoming Territorial Prison
August 20, 2011
Events begin at 9:00 A.M and run all day tell 5:00 P.M.
State Site fees apply Adults= $5.00, Teens 12-17= $2.50, Children 11 & under =Free
- Paint a collectible Breyer horse model, and take it home! 9:00- tell all Breyer Horses are gone!
- Parade of breeds, riders in traditional costume 10:00-12:00
- Breeds on site will include Andalusian, Arabian,Morgan,Thoroughbred, Quarter horses, Hanoverian, Mustang, Irish Draft, Mules, Curly Pinto, Paint, Mini horse, Shire, Trakehner, Tiny baby donkeys and more. 9:00-5:00
- Horse trailer tours 9:00- 5:00
- Horse drawn wagon rides & roping activities 12:00-4:00
- Stall cleaning demonstration 12:05-12:25
- Horse nutrition talk (Land O’Lakes Purina) 12:30
- Farrier demonstration- horse shoeing 2:30
- Veterinary demonstrations ( featuring portable bone scanning technology) 1:00
- Horse sense- horse safety 1:30
- Hands-on horse grooming and petting (get up close to an 18 hand shire horse!) 1:30-3:30
- U. of Wyoming archaeology presentation on early horse ancestors. 2:00
- Ready for show- horse clothes, horse grooming, horse main braiding demonstrations 3:00
- Free drawing: Grand prize is a collectible Breyer Horse! 4:30
HORSING AROUND KIDS’ EXPO TO BE HELD AT WYOMING TERRITORIAL PRISON THIS SATURDAY
Laramie, WY. Wyoming is about horses…even our state license plate celebrates the horse. The Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site will be holding its annual Horsing Around Kids’ Expo this Saturday, August 20 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The expo will feature a number of events ranging from hands-on horse grooming to a University of Wyoming archaeology presentation on the early horse ancestors. “The image of the horse has changed; they are no longer a work horse just for cowboys.” says Deborah Amend, Superintendent. “This Kids Xtreme event will be fun and entertaining while educating children about horses. Come paint a Breyer horse for free, help groom a horse, learn about the science of the horse and watch a riding demonstration!”Other events at the Kids’ Expo include: a parade of different horse breeds with riders in traditional costume, baby donkeys for children, a hands-on horse grooming and petting event, a display of skills by farriers in the art of fixing, shaping and fitting horse shoes and a veterinary display. Breeds that will be on site will include: Andalusian, Arabian, Morgan Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, Hanoverian, Mustang, Irish Draft and many others. The Wyoming Territorial Prison was not only an historic site that was noteworthy for its incarceration of outlaws such as the legendary bandit, Butch Cassidy, in its early years, but also for its time as a University of Wyoming Experiment Station from 1903 to 1989. The station was used by professors and students for the study of crops and livestock and was an important breeding facility for horses and other animals. “The Wyoming Territorial Prison prides itself on having such a rich history. It has represented many things to many people over the last century. Keeping that history alive for Wyoming citizens and visitors from around the world is a huge priority for us as we move forward with new exhibits and new events this year and into the future,” says Amend. “The Horsing Around Kids Expo is not only a wonderful family friendly event, but an event that will be of interest to anyone with an interest in agriculture and the ranching life-style of the American West.” Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, 975 Snowy Range Rd, Laramie, WY Open daily 9am – 6pm. Admission charged for event. Adults- $5, Ages 12-17- $2.50 and children under the age of 11- Free.
For more information on the Horsing Around Kids Expo call (307) 745-3733.